I've known him for a long time.
I think it's safe to say that I like him. A lot.
I would even go so far as to say I love him.
I love him for a lot of reasons, big and small. I love him because he doesn't flinch when I ask him weird questions, like, "If I was a color, which one do you think I'd be?" or "What do you think is the second thing people notice about me?" Or how I will plop a home decorating magazine in his lap and ask, "Which of these things do you think I like the most?" Not only does he not flinch, he takes a moment, considers, and answers the question. Correctly.
I love him because, sometimes when I stay up too late and get tired and let my small troubles crash upon my head, he tucks the covers around my chin and plays with my hair and gives me a much needed reality check. And doesn't mention it in the morning.
I love him because he can't for the life of him remember lyrics to songs, but he can sing alternate lyrics --that actually make sense--without missing a beat.
The first time I realized I love loved him was a seemingly small moment like these. I was a senior in high school, facing a busy, stressful week. My mom was in the hospital, recovering from surgery, so I was doing more chores at home. My church volleyball team was in the midst of city finals (we totally rocked). And biggest of all, I was co-chair of a school dance sponsored by the choir, scheduled for that Saturday night. We had to hold tryouts for intermission acts, hire a deejay, plan and buy decorations, find a photographer, work out refreshments, etc. etc. etc.
On the Wednesday of that week, I came into the choir room at the beginning of class, millions of thoughts buzzing through my head at once. All the students coming over from the seminary building took the time to stop and tell me the tire on my van was flat. There were a lot of students coming from seminary, so it sounded something like this: " Jeigh, your tire is flat, your tire is flat, tire is flat, is flat, flat, flat, FLAT, FLAT!!!!!!!!!" (echo, echo, echo) My stress load was at a breaking point before that, and I looked across the room at Rex, like I always did, this time with eyes brimming with tears, and although I am not an accomplished lip reader, I caught every word: I'll take care of it. I'll fix it.
The second choir ended and the lunch hour started, Rex walked out the door and across the street to check out my van. I thought he was going to get a bite to eat first, but he didn't think twice about it. The only reason I had the van to drive was because my mom wasn't using it, so I didn't have a clue where the spare tire was, or if we had a jack. Rex knows what he's doing with cars, though, so he got to work, in his white shirt, and soon had the tire changed. There was a bit of trouble with my jack, so he had to find another one from someone else, and it took all of the lunch hour.
While I watched him work, I started to feel a sort of electric, bubbly feeling wriggling through my insides. I knew I liked him, and I knew I was really grateful for his help, but I'd never felt so very, very grateful. I suddenly wanted to plant a big fat kiss on him right there. I settled for a hug, but even as I went to my keyboarding class, my skin continued to bubble and crackle with some new, intense emotion.
I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. I couldn't figure out why the simple act of changing my tire was causing me to feel so extremely charitable toward Rex, until the words fell into my mind: I love him. I LOVE him.
I was doing a typing test when I realized it. Totally flunked that day's test. Totally didn't care.
Love is better than good typing skills. I would know, because I am still in love. With Rex Meredith.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Oh forever more! That was so cute and I just wanted to say that I love him too! One of the things I love about Rex is that he married you! Another thing I love about him is that he says funny things (just like you) like, "Did you ever think you were really mentally retarded and nobody ever told you?". And he says it with complete honesty. Priceless! I also love his funny made up stories and when he gets with Gill, they multiply!!! So fun! Love you guys!
Peg
Oh goodness gracious. I'm all teary-eyed. I think I got more romantic fireworks from this one post than I did from four atrocious Stephenie Meyer novels.
That Rex Meredith is a real catch. So, tell me if this sounds... weird, but I had lots of crushes in high school. Never had one on Rex, not that he wasn't crushworthy, mind you. But, I always had such a deep respect for him. He has always been so good and true through and through. I think he helped me out a couple of car scrapes too.
And I remember how HAPPY I was to find out that you two were going to be married! A perfect match! Two good people making it official. I sure love you guys!
Oh and did you write this to make me feel even worse about the stupid post I wrote about my husband?? Haha! Oh I feel like such a jerk!
Oh, now that was sweet. Rex is one lucky guy, if you ask me! I really liked this post and oh, to remember back to those wonderful first butterflies, that is awesome. Oh wait, you still have butterflies about your Rexy-too cute!
I'm so tired and stressed out and so that really made me cry. It's so refreshing to know of couples that still love each other despite years of crazy commotion. That also helped me remember why I love Michael and the first moment I realized it...even though it's a little foggy. Thank you for sharing that.
I love Rex, too! I love that he will dive into super in depth explanations of medical conditions that no one really understands. I love that he doesn't care, and that he's just excited to share what he knows. I also like his little humming voice that he does, but the best part about Rex is what a great husband he is for my sister! THis was such a sweet post. Love you, J-B!
Rex is a good guy. I remember that day. Rex came in to Mythology beaming. Love you both!
Oh, how sweet! That almost made me cry! I hope you make sure Rex reads that! You have such a way with words!
That was so thoroughly genuine and sweet - I just loved it! How romantic you can pin-point the actual moment you fell in love with Rex Meredith :) I can too (with Ty though of course:)) although the scenario was much different. Loved the story!
Ahhhhh...Marwage isss what brwings us togewher towday! You and Rex are your own romance novel, only one that's really real, and nice to read about.
I love you both.
My secret password is "outte" as in her belly button is an outte.
That was sweet, sweet, Sweet, SWEET, SWEET!!!
See, that is the kind of love that REALLY lasts.
I got the same feeling the night that I first kissed Josh; right after he finished building a cabinet for my mom.
Here's to love and a service project!
he says it with complete honesty. Priceless! I also love his funny made up stories and when he gets with Gill, they multiply!!! So fun! Love you guys!
work at home in india
Post a Comment