Every Wednesday I wash, dry, fold and put away a few mountains of laundry. It is a well-known and grudgingly accepted fact in our house that when I am folding clothes, I get full reign over the TV and all movie choices.
Much to Jett's disappointment, I started this week's selection process by informing him that I would not be choosing anything with cartoon characters in it. I lost Jenna's support when I promised her that there would be kissing. I won Halle's allegiance at the same time. She's always up for a little kissy-face.
I try to educate my children on the classics: The Princess Bride, Stardust (minus a few scenes, and most of the end--but if you haven't seen it, see it. Soooon.), Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Pirates of Penzance, etc. I'm not big on chick flicks, but I like a little romance in the story, ya know?
For Christmas, my mom got me the five-disc collector's set of Anne of Green Gables. Can I just say, Gilbert Blythe? Sigh. We busted it out, but since it's a 6-hour movie and my kids were bored about 20 minutes into it, we decided to go the best-of route and skip some of the, uh, less Gilbert-y parts. Heh.
I felt kind of like a history teacher; I was waving my remote in the direction of the TV, explaining what was happening in 1x speed, saying, "And now we come to one of the BEST parts...", then turning to give it my full attention. Rex came home, and then I had even more to explain, because he kept saying stuff like, "Who even talks like that?" and "Why is he good-looking? Look at his hair!"
Half-way through, after one of the times that Gilbert proposed, and he said something incredibly romantic, I looked around, trying to make eye-contact with someone who would non-verbally agree: That's a good line. This is such a good movie. Gilbert Blythe is such a hottie.
Unfortunately, I was alone. Rex was staring at the TV, still trying to find the appeal in the whole thing. Halle was staring at the TV, trying to work out the old-timey language. Jett was jumping on the couch. Jenna was pointedly not watching, just in case they kissed.
I thought back to all the times I've watched the whole movie with my mom and sisters. We know all the best lines. We say them in a worshipful chorus. (Say it with me ladies: "I don't need sunbursts or marble halls. I just want you!") We watch the cheesy acting, hear the cheesy lines, perk up at the best parts, and look at each other a lot.
Because we know.
This movie rocks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I would TOTALLY sit and watch this movie with you! Oh, that Gilbert Blythe just makes my little heart go pitter pat! If the men in our lives knew the impact they would have on us if they looked as us that way and said things like, "there will never be anyone for me but you." (in a croaky, sick, almost dead voice), then we would be eternal butter in their hands. Let's all watch it right now!
ah, I'm with Erin! I think we need a girl's loving Gilbert night. And, if it helps, I echoed your look through the computer screen.
Also, did I tell you that Halle threw me one of those looks the other night when Alex kissed her werewolf fella? Yeah, Halle will be with us one day!
I love to read your posts - such humor! I definitely need to get that disc set - they are such originals (and I also love your other movie picks)!
I have LOVED Anne of Green Gables since I was in 7th grade! Seriously...I have read all the books down to the ones about her children....So.Amazingly.Wonderful!
I used to write in my journal similar phrases like hers...very dramatic-like and full of despair and woe! I even acted out in my head and recorded in my journal a very terrible burial service for my sister with whom I was very upset with because she just didn't understand me!
Later...I tore out the pages and threw them away...
Anyhoo...totally gotta get those and watch them again!
Hey girls, Dad came this weekend and brought a way for Kay Marie and I to watch movies while we are in Salt Lake AND he brought my copy of the Anne of Green Gable disks!!!! Does that make you all want to get yourselves here so we can all watch it together...That kiss...on the bridge...To.Die.For!
"I don't want sunbursts or marble halls...I just want YOU!" *sigh!*
I echoed your look through the computer screen
work at home in india
Post a Comment