One of the things Rex and I agree on is that our house, when we have one, should have a library, Beauty and the Beast-style. I'm already working on stocking it up, thanks to Goodwill, DI, and Amazon.com. I might have a slight addiction. *cough*
I even remember my library number when I was in elementary school. It was 177. You used that number to check out library books. And don't even think of stealing my library identity. It won't work.
I loved to read so much that I would check out a book a day in 6th grade. It became kind of a big thing. I was always excused from morning announcments, because when my teacher would start talking, I would raise my hand and ask if I could go to the library. After a few days of the same, my teacher started asking if I wanted to go, and if he forgot to ask, one of my classmates was sure to remind him. I can remember Karl, sitting on his feet like he did, kind of bopping up and down excitedly, saying, "Hey, Mr. Banning, isn't it time for Jeigh to go get another book?"
Sometimes, if I had a book I didn't really like, it was a lot of pressure to finish it before morning announcements. For some reason, I felt guilty if I didn't finish.
When I was in 7th grade, I took a bet from a guy in my literature class that I could read a whole Sci-Fi/Fantasy trilogy in a week, which is what he did. All my 6th grade friends piped up for me: "Jeigh can do it! Do it, Jeigh. Show him!" How could I turn that down? It wasn't really my genre, but I did it. I won five bucks. A dollar a day, which I spent in the vending machines after school. Woo!
I still like to read a lot, and fast. Rex doesn't understand why I stay up to read books, and why I read a lot of them in one sitting. It's like this: When I watch a movie, I don't watch 15 minutes of it and then turn it off. I can't get into a story that way. It's the same with books. I don't read the words. I soak them up through my skin and let the images wash over me.
That sounds kind of weird...but also true.
I've read a lot, but Belle and I both know there's more out there. So, I want to know...what are your favorite books? I've got a library to fill, you know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Man, you are awesome! You remind me of Travis. He reads so, so, so much and can't put the book down. I can get into books a little bit, but I do have a lot of interruptions and well, reading puts me to sleep! :-)
I will have to keep thinking of some books, but I know that you probably have them because well, you are TONS of steps ahead of me. Heck, you might as well tell me which books to read!
As you know, you are my supplier/dealer, so pretty much all of my most recent favorite books came from you! I have always admired your love of books and recently you have awakened the passion in me. I want to be more like you. I just don't quite know how to discover the good ones the way you do; so, for now, I'll just reap the benefits of living close to you! =)
But, to answer your question, I've recently decided that my favorite types of books are the story-telling kinds like Fablehaven or Harry Potter or the Enchanted Forest series. The Princess Bride is and forever will be one of my very favorites! The Phantom of the Opera is very good, Pride and Prejudice, Alice in Wonderland, The Frog Prince (remind me to let you borrow this one). I'll think of more later, but I right now I have to get back to Fablehaven! Love ya!
Loved your post! You're so fun. I used to TOTALLY be a bookworm and I am having such a hard time getting back into it. How do you find the time? I suppose if I didn't spend so much time on the computer and glued to the tube I could probably get back into it. My greatest accomplishments from grade school were from the public library over the summer for having read the most books for my age group. I am and was such a nerd! But I LOVE books too. Good for you for staying true:)
you ARE awesome, Jeigh! I always suspected as much. I was more of a closet reader. For some reason, I didn't know that reading as much as we did was unusual until I got married, and Kerry was shocked at how fast I read. We, too, have dreams of building a Beauty and the Beast style library. Our two bookshelves are already bursting at the seams, and I love it.
I have one suggestion for you. I bought the book, Ella Enchanted, at Goodwill for a quarter. BEST. QUARTER. I. EVER. SPENT. It is seriously one of my new favorite books. One I couldn't put down to save my life. I was up late reading it to the very last page (and still felt it was totally worth it when I had to get up a mere four hours later) The movie: big fat thumbs down (doesn't even follow the book!) but the book: AWESOME! I'm sure I'll think of more later, but that's all I got for now.
Oh, and I love you!
Your sixth grade story cracks me up. And I am totally with you on reading fast. I can't start a book if I have other projects that need to be done in the next couple of days. Have you been to goodreads.com? That's my favorite place for ideas. The best things I've read in the last year or so are: The Help by Kathryn Stockett, These is My Words by Nancy Turner, and Listening is an Act of Love by Dave Isay.
I love Marcia Lynn McClure books of late. My friend got me hooked and now I've boughten several. Building my library too I guess. Love to read your blog - you are so very funny - truly!
Orison Scott Card has some good books out there...
I really enjoy the Alvin Maker Series. Wish he would write that final book though...
I remember sixth grade like it was yesterday....good ol' Mr. Banning. I remember you leaving to get new books every day..in fact I remember thinking I was going to try to do that to so I could go to the library too. It didn't work. I think it took me two (plus) months to read one book... "Tallahassee Higgins"
Some of my favorite books are the children of the Promise books. and Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre and a wonderful book called Wives and Daughters.(My new fav.) read it adn tell me what you think
I was surprised that I read it, but The Host by Stepehnie Meyer was very good. I stayed up until 5 am one night/morning finishing it. My poor kids paid for it after waking me two hours later. Not. a good day. I didn't know you were such a reader my friend! ANother thing we share. Pride and Prejudice has to be my all time favorite, but I wish I could say differntely because that's everyone's fave. I plan to catch up on some serious reading when these yahoos don't need me all the time. Loved the post as usual! Love you as always!
I totally agree with erin about Ella Enchanted. That is and has been practically my most favorite book for a while. I also really LOVE Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn, and books by Sarah Dessen- the truth about forever, Just Listen, and Along for the ride. Love those. Also love Princess Academy by Shannon Hale, and the goose girl, also by her. Those two are more children books, but still love them:)
The Little Prince. I love it the message touches my soul. "I don't want you to be sad because it will look as if I am dead, but it will just be an old empty shell, and there's nothing sad about old empty shells...is there?"
Love love love it. Also when I was young, quite a few years ago now, I read a book called Mrs. Mike (Ha! just like me marrying a Mike) I remember it was captivating, and I learned about pluracy in it. It was a door to a new world.
love you!
I'm currently finishing the second book of the Hunger Games. They are a must-read! Love them! I'm going to keep this comment page on my favorites list, so I can visit frequently and read all the books everyone else liked, too! Thanks! I love reading also. Such a relaxing way to spend our uh...free...time. Do we have that? Um.. nope. THAT'S why we stay up late reading. D.U.H!
I'm currently finishing the second book of the Hunger Games. They are a must-read! Love them! I'm going to keep this comment page on my favorites list, so I can visit frequently and read all the books everyone else liked, too! Thanks! I love reading also. Such a relaxing way to spend our uh...free...time. Do we have that? Um.. nope. THAT'S why we stay up late reading. D.U.H!
Post a Comment