9.22.2009

This is just too good to keep to myself!

Our shower drain got clogged. It was so bad that we had to take really really quick showers before the water spilled over the little 3-inch barrier. We're talking maybe 5 minutes, folks.

I don't like 5 minute showers.

That's not nearly enough time to condition and wash and shave and mull things over and take a power nap. Seriously, how rude! I blame my long, lumptuous hair that all fell out after Reese was born, and the girls who lived there before us and who probably had long, lumptuous hair.

We were going to Drano that sucker, but I saw something else that I decided to try first, and I'm so glad I did! It works so well, and it's a lot cheaper. Here's what you do:

*Pack 1/2 cup baking soda into drain.
*Pour 1 cup white vinegar over the baking soda
and cover quickly (a plunger works well here.)
*Let sit for 10 minutes, and in the meantime, boil a kettle of hot water.
*When the 10 minutes is up, pour the boiling water down the drain, and you will have a drain as clean and shiny as the day it was born. Really, ours drains better than it ever has before.
*Side note: Some of the drain gunk does come up and get all over the shower floor. Don't be afraid. Just grab your special barf-cleaning squeegee and clean it right up! What's that? You don't HAVE a barf-cleaning squeegee? Go get one! It's a good investment.

Ta-Da! It's like a brand new shower. Now I have time for the really important things, like pretending I'm playing Survivor in the rainforest. And exfoliation.

8 comments:

Luanne Hardy said...

That is the best thing I have ever read. Michael and I have the crappiest shower drain. We actually bought draino at Costco because we use it so much. Don't get me wrong, I'm not as adventerous in the shower as you...10 minutes is WAY too long but it's still nice not to be up to my ankles in my own filth. So thank you thank you thank you!

Erin said...

ooh! I'm gonna try this on the bathroom sink. It's draining slow. Thanks!
And I'm totally one with you on the playing survivor thing in the shower. And also the power nap. What better place to nap? And seriously, what other place can you be alone for 15 minutes?

I will now type in the word ackworte so I can post this message.

Sarahie said...

Yay! I've actually heard of this (maybe from you) but hadn't had the opportunity to try it yet! And, like Erin, I am totally with you that shower time is happy time. Although, I never thought to play survivor!

Suzi Hardy said...

TA DA!!! Can't wait to try it on my bathroom sink, (I know we talked about this awhile ago and I still haven't done it. What can I say, too much survior in the shower?) If you have a bathtub hooked to your shower here is a really fun thing to do that will take up time in the rainforest...I mean shower. After you have washed off all your filth and it has rolled down the drain, lay down in the tub and just let the water pound away on your body. I like to think it is as good a getting a massage.
Who comes up with these secret words that allow you to post your comments? kners? that's a weird one.

MANDY said...

You are a funny lady, Jeigh.... thank you so much for sharing that tidbit. We have had shower drain problems in our old, old house and had to pay a guy to unclog the one, but I'm gonna try this on the other.

Ryan and Andrea said...

Wow! That is awesome, disgusting, & totally hilarious! Thanks for the recipe-I will have to try it.

BTW, I loved the cake you made for Jenna. You are so creative.

Cami Jo said...

good to know! Thanks for the advice. By the way- your baby is getting so big, and is absolutely darling! She also looks just like your others!

Ryann said...

That is good to know. We all know how my hair is. Long and falling out (thanks to my children) so I will let Travis know. He will appreciate it since he is the one who is always unclogging our drains.