9.25.2009

I'm a tad bit concerned...

I don't know if I should laugh or cry...or run screaming from the building...

Jenna brought home her midterm progress report from school today. She got one checkmark, in computer and technology, which means that she is progressing well, but is not a master, of such things. Huh.
Anyway, take a look at this and tell me if you see something wrong:

No? Maybe if I zoom in a bit, here...

How's that? If you were me, would you laugh, cry, or run screaming? See, I really can't decide. Beside the fact that they are moving at a SNAILS PACE in learning, those are the only letters they have went over?!?

AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!

Looks like I'm going to have to supplement a bit more, what do you think?

8 comments:

amber-girl said...

I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe they are taking a week to focus on one letter? Has she been in school longer than three weeks?

Hmmmm...

That's all I can tell you.

Thinking...

Yeah...maybe you'd better do some supplementing in that area...I remember actually READING in kindergarten.

Yet another title you can take upon yourself: Kindergarten Teacher.

Sigh* Good luck!

Suzi Hardy said...

Run away very fast, screaming very loudly...the only letters we WENT through? Wow! Suppliment, suppliment, suppliment....or better yet, come home!

Sarahie said...

Criminy, that is scary.

I'm with Mom...only I think you should supplement! (Bad spellers of the world, untie!)

I guess we should cut the teacher some slack, though. She's teaching the alphabet, not grammar (or anything else). These things take time, apparently; she's still learning herself!

Erin said...

Couldn't agree with you less, Sarah. This teacher should have gone to college and LEARNED grammar BEFORE she was a teacher! I wouldn't cut her any slack! She's a teacher, she should know these things!!! ARGH!!! That would totally frustrate me. Do you have to sign the midterm and send it back? If you do (and even if you don't, I would correct her error with a red pen and send it back to her. And also, I would supplement with Jenna at home...in fact, she probably already knows everything they will teach her this year. I would be in very close contact with the teacher...and see if she is willing to give Jenna something more her speed. Ew...I could say a lot more, but I guess I'll just have to call you!
Love you!

MANDY said...

Well, I'm gonna put on my teacher hat for a moment here.....she probably was tired from writing comments on all of the other reports that came alphabetically before Meredith, teachers are human and make mistakes, too, and the kindergarten curriculum does give a lot of time to each individual letter throughout the first half of the year. Most people would be surprised to know how many children come into kindergarten having had limited experience with the alphabet and books. And most of the kids need the whole week for each letter to learn how to write it correctly. She will be reading by the end of the year, and the best way for parents to supplement at this age is to read, read, read to our kids. And part of that is encouraging her to recognize and sound out the letters that she has been learning about in school as you read to her. Wow! I totally went teacher on you, huh? Now, don't feel like I'm judging you for your frustration....You vent all you need to, it's your blog and I thorougly enjoy reading it....I would most definitely have had the same reaction to the grammar mistake. I just find myself trying to balance my parental reactions with my understanding of the other side A LOT!! (probably why PTO drives me crazy! too much negativity toward the teachers, and a little bit of "why aren't they doing it this way?")

MANDY said...

Oh, I just remembered my shocked reaction when I attended my first staff meeting as a teacher in North Carolina.....the principal said, "I might could get that report for you all." What?! "Might could" or "might can" are regular phrases in the South, even among the educated. I was surprised, but I realized that everybody is different and by the time I left 6 years later, I'd picked up quite a bit of southern drawl.....but not "might could". :)

Ryann said...

I wouldn't worry about the grammar thing. I actually find it funny! How human we all are! How is Jenna liking school? Is she bored with it like Aftyn is? Yep, BORED is the word that she used, and yes, we supplement at home (which I think is a great idea for you too).

Ryann said...

BTW, I am playing catch up tonight, so I posted comments on all the new entries. Yeah, I have been a comment slacker. I suck, what can I say?