I have a lot of thoughts going through my head tonight, so I'm going to be more like Evelyn and let them alllll come out (Evelyn, I hope you know I am doing this in the imitation-is-the-highest-form-of-flattery sort of way.)
* We bought a freezer today. I'm really excited about it. I want to go bargain shopping for meat. I want to learn how to freeze jam. And cookies. And time...
*Because Jenna is starting school tomorrow. I hate to sound like the old cliche, but MY BABY IS GROWING UP SO FAST!!! I'm trying reeeally hard to have mixed feelings about this, but mostly all I'm coming up with are sad feelings.
Maybe I would feel more excited if Jenna felt more excited, but we're talking about a girl who hates change. Hates. It. Even when she sees it from a mile away, she fights it. Ah, Jenna. School is good. When people ask her if she's excited for school, she tells them no straight up. Then people try to be encouraging. "School is so fun! You will learn so much at school! Then you can grow up and be whatever you want to be!" Jenna will then matter-of-factly reply," I'm not going to grow up. I am going to be little and stay with my mommy forever." (If you hear that cracking sound, don't worry, it's just my heart breaking a bit. I'll be ok.)
*Speaking of school...we've got the clothes set out. The lunch is packed. Bathtime was a success and bedtime was speedy. One last nagging thing: which school is she going to again? Oh, that's right, we don't know yet.
See, we decided to transfer Jenna to a different school, since the one in our town has really bad performance scores. When we got home from our vacation in Idaho, we had a form in our pile of mail explaining the transfer process. It involves getting a signature from the principals of both schools, then review and approval from the school board. Since we got home Thursday, we called Friday morning to make sure the principals were in their schools, and we found out that they were in meetings until Tuesday. (I'm thinking probably not straight through, but I don't know...) Jenna and I spent most of this morning running from school to school to school (turns out one of the principals runs two schools--how fancy) and then to the school board to get it approved. The man in charge of approval was out of the office, but the nice lady told me she'd get the form to him before his meeting at 1:00, and see if he couldn't get it approved for us.
Weeell, it's 11:00 now, and I'm thinking he's not going to call back.
Now I don't want to sound too pushy, because I know they have a lot going on right now and I'm not the only person who needs their time, but I'm not really sure what to do tomorrow. I'm really afraid we'll go to the school we want, and they will be like, "Sorry, you're not on the list. She doesn't belong here." Wouldn't that just help to ease her first-day jitters? Then, what if we have to take her back to the other school, the one I don't like, the one I dissed on the form where it asked my reason for transfer? And they'll be all, "Oh, what, didn't the better testing scores and smaller classrooms work out for ya?" And she will be an outcast. Gak.
*Also, I promised Jenna pancakes in the morning. That was before I found out I have to take the other kids to Sarah's house at 7:30. When am I going to get those done? And nurse the baby? And change the diapers? And dress the bodies? And do Jenna's hair? These are all things that are not usually done before 7:30. What if we're late for the first day of school? Ugh. I can't sleep.
*If I know one thing about myself, it's that my worrying gets way out of hand. So, I think I got it all out. We'll see how it really turns out tomorrow!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
aw Jeigh...I wish I could say something to help you feel better. I think it will work out, whether it all runs smoothly tomorrow or not. If I were you, I'd be insistent on keeping her at the school you want, because you're her guardian, and, ultimately have the biggest say in what happens to her. I"m sure you already thought of this, but have Rex give Jenna a blessing before she heads off to school. Kerry gave Dylann one and it really helped calm her nerves.
I'm only a phone call away if you ever want to vent to someone who is going through "my baby is growing up so fast!!!!" woes. I love you!
I take your imitation-is-the-best-form-of-flattery compliment and raise you one! Thanks Jeigh! I put my thoughts out there and think people probably think I am the biggest doofus and then you come along with your encouraging comments and make me feels TONS better! I hope everything works itself out tomorrow! I would be worrying like crazy too. How could you not?! Poor Jenna! We'll keep her in our prayers. May sound kind of silly, but couldn't hurt, eh?
Oh and poor Mommy too! We'll be praying for you too! ;) On second thought...maybe we better just have a ward fast...;D
I kinda understand the worries about the first day, but I haven't done it with so many little ones and the whole school vs. school stress. I'm feelin' for ya.
I'm really sorry that you are going through all of that right now. I hope all went well. I'm also sorry that it's now the next day and I'm just barely learning about it. I like to think in hard times like these..."What would Perry the platypus do? He always seems to know how to get out of a jam."
Oh, Jeigh! Aren't you glad it is over now? Thank you for taking care of my baby in the midst of all this stress. I owe you. And, I have to throw in that I am really proud of how well Jenna seemed to handle it and how well you handled it. You are both so cool! I still want to be like you when I grow up.
Perry the Platypus...that is really funny and good advice. Perry doesn't worry about things until it is time...what am I talking about, I don't know when Perry worries about things, I only know that all those things you were worrying about are things that any good mother would worry about. I always made myself sick wondering what I would do if my kids got a teacher that I really adamently didn't want them to have..even now as I think about it I can feel the ball of sickness welling up in my stomach. Gak! and then the nightmares about the Grand Canyon at Yellowstone National Park come creeping in...get away from the edge, danger! danger! danger! (imagine me running around waving my hands above my head trying to herd you kids away from the edge) Being a good mom is hard work.
Post a Comment